My first half marathon


View from the start line queue
On Sunday 24th June 2018 I completed my first half marathon, the Round Sheffield Run. The event is billed as ‘a trail running enduro that is a unique creative "multi-stage" running event following the beautiful Round Sheffield route, a superb running journey linking some of the best trails and parkland.’ There are 11 timed stages which make up 20km and interval stages in-between the timed stages for runners to get to the next stage in another park/location. In total the route was 24.5km/15 miles and runners get a time for each stage as well as an overall run result.


I hadn’t run anywhere near this distance but felt that this event would be a good introduction to a half marathon due to the ‘recovery’ interval stages….I was wrong, just as I was about understanding there to be a ‘few hilly sections’. I heard one runner say he had lived in Sheffield all of his life and didn’t know where all the hills were coming from on the day! The ‘recovery’ sections were tough for me as I find it difficult to stop running totally and then start again at the same pace. I pretty much went straight onto the next stage each time, apart from at the two feed stations which had a welcome plentiful supply of water and jelly babies. If I was a more experienced runner I would have liked to have jogged/ran through the ‘recovery’ stages and kept more of a steady pace throughout. Something to aim for! 


In terms of my preparation for the event, I had done two quite long runs (for me) during the week so Friday and Saturday were rest days for me, no runs and no gym classes. I had a good night's sleep before the event and made sure my tea on Saturday night wouldn't be something too problematic in terms of output in my stoma bag on Sunday. Breakfast on the day to get me through was two Weetabix and a banana closer to the race. 

The organisers had taken over a large chunk of the park where the run started from and had a DJ booth to get everyone motivated this made for a great pre and post-race atmosphere. Marshalls were on the whole friendly and really cheered you on, this was helped by the fact your name is on your race number that you generally pin on the front of your shirt and it made a massive difference with someone shouting ‘Come on Rachel, well done!’ than just generally encouraging the runners.


Main considerations for me on the day were to keep hydrated as I think temperatures reached 24 degrees and my wave didn’t set off until just before 10am so I knew I’d probably still be running at the hottest part of the day. I took 1 litre of fluid with me as I couldn’t really carry much more weight-wise and I made full use of the feed stations having bottles of water at both. I’m mindful of keeping hydrated with having a stoma so I try and take sips of fluids throughout a run even if I don’t feel that thirsty. I was also aware that there would be no toilet facilities during the run. I did an al-fresco bag empty in some bushes at one stage and disposed of the rubbish bag I’d used in a bin…people must have been wondering what I was carrying! I took my very basic/just the essentials emergency stoma kit with me in case I had a leak and needed to change my bag. The chances of this happening were very slim but I think it was a reassuring comfort to know I was carrying this. 


Running with someone/a team of people about my pace would definitely have helped me on the day. I did have to 'dig deep' to keep going, particularly on some of the 'recovery' sections where you're walking up some quite steep hills and wondering if you can keep going let alone start running again. I missed one of the timing stations and had to go back to it if I wanted an accurate time. It was quite a way to go back and at the time I was really annoyed with myself and I must have had a face like thunder. If I hadn't have been running solo I probably wouldn't have made that mistake and even if we did, it would have been something to laugh about. It almost became a wall that I had to get over to complete the run. I felt so deflated at the time that when I made it back to the station I asked the marshall if I should even carry on and finish the run. Obviously that sounds ridiculous looking back but that's as low as I felt at the time. 

This was a tough challenge physically and mentally for me and I didn’t have a time in mind to aim for, I also had nothing to compare my time to. I was just happy to get round a course that even some experienced runners see as challenging, to get my first ever sport related medal and of course a race t shirt to show off my efforts! This probably wasn’t the most enjoyable event I’ve done so far. I had to keep looking for time stations and I’m not used to doing that, I was concerned about what fluids I had left during the run, I kept thinking ‘will this ever end’ as the interval stages make it fairly difficult to actually see where you are distance wise based on your watch results, I was running on my own and not with a partner and I think mentally that can be tough when you’re not used to longer distances and the trails were incredibly narrow in places which I am used to but not with as much of a stampede of faster runners behind you at times that are breathing down your next to get past. Hopefully if I can do this event again I’ll be a bit more experienced and able to enjoy the scenery a bit more! I would definitely do this event again and an improved time would be a bonus but not my prime reason for doing the run.


Highlights from the day: Getting a medal of course! Making it round the course and still running by the time I reached the finish line, hearing about the England V Panama World Cup score, a well deserved burger at the end of my run, discovering how many areas of parkland Sheffield has and exploring some of these, the downhill sections, the two marshals that complimented my England supporter sunglasses, the fact I didn't overheat/melt, emptying my stoma bag during a break in the run and realising I can do longer distances with a stoma and it's not an issue, the overall atmosphere in the 'race village' 

Things I'd like to forget: The handful of portaloos for the hundreds of competitors, the marshal who told me my England supporter sunglasses were 'hideous'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comfizz support wear review

Support wear

My first trail event

Instagram